Sunday, September 8, 2013

Showing a Retro vibe



Hiya Blogland!! I hope everyone has had a fabulous weekend. I've been busy getting my autumn decorating done. Seriously--I have 5 bins of autumn decorations. My fav season next to Christmas!! Pictures later this week!!

First up is today's outfit post. Everything is thrifted/gifted. I picked up the jacket at the charity shop whilst running errands yesterday for $4!! I believe it had a skirt with it originally. There's no tags in it. I wore it over an old black camisole for some modesty. It has shoulder pads and a rather 40's retro silhouette. I paired it with a thrifted ruffle hem skirt. The shoes are Clark's Artisan I thrifted for under $5 last spring. They were unworn, a beige color, and had a grease stain on them. I got some leather dye and made them black!! And of course someone had to get in the action!!

 
Here's a close-up of the bling. the earrings are vintage clip-ons I converted to pierced, bracelets were thrifted. The brooch is a vintage hair ornament I made into a brooch. The purse is my great-grandmother's from the 1940's. The ALG monogram stands for Anna Lillian Grimes. I treasure it!!
 
As I said I stopped at a couple of charity shops yesterday in town. I managed to find a few goodies!!
 
 Another view of the jacket. It's definitely polyester and the front zips.
 
Polyester "silk" Chaus blouse for $3. Chaus was a big brand in the 80's for "professional" attire. I just fell in love with this print/.. I had avoided this style/brand in the past but I'm thinking I may need a few more of these!!

Russ brand rib knit tshirt with the tags still on it for $3. The stripes are a veritable rainbow of favorites. Here's a close-up:

I found another awesome tartan buttondown blouse for $3!! It's JonesNewYork and is gorgeous in it's aqua, pink and apple green glory!!

The one charity shop in town always has the nicest vintage scarves and craft/sewing stuff. I scored some 1950s-1980's Workbasket craft mags for 10 cents each. I love reading about old handiwork!

Here are some scarves. Black & white polka dots are always "in" in my book and I love the vintage pale grey and floral of the silk chiffon one!

This next scarf was the fab find #2 of the day (next to the jacket). a glorious vintage silk scarf with a FLAMENCO DANCER and a BULL FIGHTER!!!!
 
 I'm off to take Miss Gracie a walk if I can peel her off Daddy's lap. They are watching football together!
 
I'm linking up with the always chic gals at Visible Monday!! and Monday Mingle!!
 
I'll be back on Tuesday!!
 
TTFN
Tamera





 





25 comments:

Gabriala Brown said...

Tamera, you look fabulous in that suit!!! I love that little ruffly hem around the bottom of the skirt. Flamenco Dancer and Bull Fighter scarf... PRICELESS!!! :-) xoxoxo

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Tamera, this is my favorite look on you so far...so chic, flattering, and professional! I love it and that jacket and blouse would look great with dark jeans. You go girl! I hope you will come by to enter to win the gorgeous necklace I am giving away!

Anonymous said...

I love the flounce of the skirt hem and the belt detail of the jacket. Looking Fantastic!

Patti said...

Looking *very* good, T! I love your photo bomber too, the little football fan : > Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

Kicking and Screaming 55+ Petite Style said...

Love this look, especially the belt detail on the jacket and the way you have accessorized.

Sheila said...

Tamera, this is one of my favourite outfits of yours EVER! So chic and just stunning. Perfectly accessorized. Girl, you need to wear short skirts more - look at those legs!

Jean at www.drossintogold.com said...

You make me smile from ear to ear. The jacket looks great on you and I'm totally with you on enjoying old handcraft magazines etc. You've also inspired me to decorate for Fall. Maybe it will come sooner that way!! XXOO

Suzanne said...

What a delight to have your Great Grandma's handbag! Also I love how you turned the hair ornament into a brooch.

The ruffles on the skirt are so flattering. I think the shorter length makes you look taller.

You look very spiffy!

Hope your intestines are feeling better : )

bisous
Suzanne

Unknown said...

Hi Tamera!

What nice finds you got there, i especially love the plaid shirt and flameco dancer scarf, that is a lovely find.
I adore your grandma's 40s purse i have very little from my grndmaman, i had an antique necklace once from her but i got stolen, broke my heart really .

Is Gracie still watching football? Did you manage to get her off Dad? So funny!

Have a great Monday!

Ariane!

Helga said...

Darling, that jacket is super slick, and quite 40's film noir!! Love it!
Gracie is photo bombing, hurrah!
That flamenco dancedr scarf is making my heart skip a beat! Too gorgeous! XXX

Sue said...

Todays outfit is very chic and smart! You look fantastic!! I rather like Autumn when all the trees change colour. Then again I like Spring when all the new growth and colour arrive.

Vix said...

Goodness me, that checked jacket is fabulous on you, what a stylish find! Love how good your legs look in that skirt, too!
Lusting over that Spanish scarf and the groovy cover on the craft mag! x

ZalinaW said...

Great jacket! Can be worn with pants too.

Miss Simmonds Says said...

you look like you mean business with that sexy jacket and skirt. What a great find. I love the 80s flowery "silk" blouse - I'm always after those and the ribbed top too! xxxx

thorne garnet said...

I'm not a big fan of strips, but I'm loving that top. Must be the colors.

Unknown said...

Lookatchoo! So pretty in your very current looking separates ... such a great combination, and all for the right price. Hard to beat, Tamera, and extrememly flattering. Lovin' your ankle strap heels. Very chic.
Happy decorating, happy fall! (Still miserable here! Send me cool weather! Please!)

renae said...

Nice assortment of goods here. Nice to meet you!

Unknown said...

That jacket makes you look like a pinup! It hits your curves in all the right places and belts just where it should to show off your bod in such a great way! You, Madam, are a thrift store diva and bargainess extraordinaire!

Did you just say you dyed your shoes? Wait - you can DYE leather at home? Tutorial immediately, please. ;-)

Alicia

Anonymous said...

Whoa, if you hadn't shared the story behind today's look, I would have wondered if higher ups weren't going through the office. Very sharp. Love the tartan plaid blouse and the flamenco scarf!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Five bins!!! Woowza. Can't wait to see some photos. I love autumn too. There's something about the light and the air that is unmistakable...at least in my small part of the world. You are looking tres chic in the black and white outfit, and it's hard to believe you only paid $4.00 for the jacket. Well done!

mispapelicos said...

I wish we had some autumn weather. it is difficult to feel autumnly at 35Âșc.
I love the idea of decorating the house with the seasons, and I want all your finds.
Lots of love, my dear Tamera.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Krista said...

You totally do fancy well Tamera! The new jacket looks gorgeous on you as do your legs! Nice haul I love the colorful scarfs!
Xxoo

The Style Crone said...

Classy! The jacket and skirt, with your shoes! You are stepping out.

Unknown said...

Ooh I love love love a fab black and white outfit and you have absolutely nailed it with that GORGEOUS jacket! I love the details and the French cuffs... you are a supermodel indeed!!!

Sarah xxx

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Your grandmother's bag is too lovely!